Sunday 22 January 2012

I am addicted to LUSH soap.

In May '11 I decided to make a positive life choice. I already live a pescetarian lifestyle, but I wanted to do more for my body and the environment. I decided I wanted to lower my consumption of artificial sweeteners (I am a Diet Coke addict) and stop using aluminum based antiperspirants. I also wanted to start using more 'natural' and organically based beauty products. In my search for new brands, I came across LUSH cosmetics. I found their various philosophies to be align with my own. I made my first online order, and I've been addicted ever since.

My modest LUSH soap collection: 5x snowcake, porridge, candycane, sandstone, godmother, sultana, rockstar, noubar
From May '11 to now, I have tried something from every category of LUSH products: haircare, facial care, body care, bath bombs and bubble bars, shower gels, soaps- the list goes on! I am a through and through LUSHie. I intend on going over every inch of my LUSH experience with you all, and I decided to focus today's post on SOAPS

LUSH has a wide assortment of soaps that do various things: there are exfoliating soaps, soaps that are extra creamy, soaps that smell like flowers, or candy, or something indescribable

Rockstar (left) and Noubar soaps by LUSH
Every person has different taste in scents. LUSH realizes this and makes a variety of scents to please one and all. Pictured above is Rockstar soap ($7.95/100g). Loaded with vanilla absolute, it smells like bubblegum! This soap lathers well, is moisturizing and has a delicious scent. You may be tempted to take a bite, but please do not! It tastes like soap ;) I will note that the scent of Rockstar does not linger on the skin post-shower, which is a shame. It is an adorable bubblegum pink shade, which makes it all the more lovable.

The green soap pictured is a soon-to-be-discontinued LUSH soap, Noubar ($6.95/100g). Noubar is insanely creamy. If you hold a freshly cut piece, you feel as if you could smoosh it with your hands. The scent is very, very unique. To me, it smells smokey and sweet. Noubar was inspired by Italian nougat, and has actual chunks of peanuts, walnuts and pistachios in it which make it look very interesting. These nuts can be used for exfoliation. Vetivert oil and rose absolute give this creamy soap a lingering scent that lasts much longer than other LUSH soaps I have tried. Try this unique creation before it disappears from LUSH shelves for good!

Godmother (left) and Sultana soaps by LUSH
The Godmother ($5.95/100g) soap is the very first soap bar I purchased from LUSH. I picked it for a few reasons: firstly, it is cheaper than many of the other soaps, secondly, I love sweet scents and it sounded delicious. Luckily, I was right in my choice-- it smells even more edible than Rockstar to me. Scented of cotton candy, this soap is not creamy like the Rockstar or Noubar. It does not lather as much, and the scent does not linger on the skin. However, it is still worth purchasing for its delicious scent. Please note that LUSH prices its soaps based on their ingredients: if a soap has expensive essential oils or other ingredients, it will cost more. The Godmother soap derives its scent from perfume, not natural ingredients, hence its cheaper price tag.

The Sultana of Soap ($5.95/100g) was love at first sniff for me. I purchased a big chunk of this at the LUSH Mississauga location upon my first visit to an actual LUSH store. I had been doing online purchases prior to this experience, and getting the chance to actually smell things, rather than read about what they supposedly smelled like, was invaluable. The day of this trip, I ended up purchasing Sultana as well as Demon in the Dark ($7.95/100g); both soaps need to be smelled in order to be fully appreciated. Much like Noubar, they are both hard to describe using only words. Sultana is unbelievably creamy, lathers well and I find the scent to linger well on the skin. It is packed with dried apricots, currants and cranberries which give it a gorgeous appearance and a slight exfoliating advantage. The soap itself has a light, fruity and floral fragrance from bergamot oil that LUSH claims has a natural anti-depressant effect, meant to clear the mind of anxiety and improve mental clarity. Sultana is one of my all-time favourite LUSH soaps.



Three lovely slices of the seasonal Snowcake soap. Notice the pretty golden lustre on top :)
Finally, Snowcake soap ($7.95/100g) is a holiday soap that is only released for the Christmas season. This is why I currently have 5 chunks of Snowcake! I try not to hoard soaps and other LUSH products like some other LUSHies do because LUSH products are fresh and made of natural ingredients; as such, they only have a shelf life of anywhere from a month to 14 months depending upon what you buy. LUSH soaps have a recommended shelf life of 14 months and because I am only one person, I try not to over-purchase. The amount of soap I currently have stored is probably enough to last me 14 months, but I already have a new order on the way (teehee) with two bars of soap in it. Snowcake is an ultra-creamy soap that smells of almond icing or marzipan. I enjoy how smooth it is, I enjoy the scent, and I love that the scent lingers on the skin post-shower. I highly suggest you get a slice (or five!) next holiday season. 

Other soaps that I have in my stash that were not discussed in this post include: candycane soap ($6.95/100g) (seasonal exclusive) which smells of vanilla and mint; sandstone soap ($6.95/100g) which smells of lemon drops and contains actual sand for the ultimate exfoliation; and porridge soap ($6.95/100g), which you HAVE to try. It is chock full of oatmeal which gently exfoliates, and it smells like cupcakes! It is divine in every sense of the word, super creamy and luxurious. 

I have a couple honorable mentions- these are LUSH soaps that are very popular but are not my personal cup of tea. Honey I Washed The Kids (HIWTK) soap ($7.95/100g) smells of toffee and honey. It is very popular with the general LUSH masses. I have tried it and the scent lingers very well, but it is not my favourite in terms of scent. Sexy Peel soap ($5.95/100g) is packed with lemon, orange, grapefruit and lime juice for an invigorating shower experience. While I enjoy the scent of this soap, I prefer Sandstone for my citrus soap experience. And finally, Karma soap ($7.95/100g) is LUSH cosmetics signature scent- a mixture of patchouli, lemongrass, orange oil and pine that seriously lingers on the skin.I personally cannot stand the scent of patchouli and to me, it is the strongest scent in Karma. If you enjoy patchouli, you will love Karma. As LUSHies say, with Karma, you either love it or hate it.

I hope you enjoy my review of some of my favourite LUSH soaps!
Happy bathing,
--S


7 comments:

  1. Oooh, I must try these soaps! I have a serious addiction to bars of soap...I can never have enough! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jayne! Thanks so much for following my blog and leaving me my first comment <3 LUSH soap is the best of the best! Please let me know which ones you choose to try :)

      Delete
    2. I'll dedicate my LUSH soap post to you when I do ;-)

      Delete
  2. I love the Snowcake soap! I wish I would've bought more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! It is so creamy, it lathers gorgeously. It is one of LUSH's most luxurious soaps in my opinion! I have to make these 5 chunks last me til next Christmas!

      Delete
  3. Looks like some great things. This is making me go to the mall :)
    I need some lush!
    -Hayley xx
    alwaysbeglamorous@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hayley! I went to the mall today and bought MORE lush believe it or not. I think I am legit obsessed with this brand, its such great quality- so addictive!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...